The Project Management Podcast™

Bringing Project Management Topics to Beginners and Experts

Name:

The Project Management Podcast™ has moved to it's new home at www.THEpmpodcast.com.

This Blog will remain open, but it will no longer be updated. Please change your bookmarks and visit us at at www.THEpmpodcast.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Project Planning: Taking a step back.

Visit us at our new home: www.THEpmpodcast.com.

I take a step back from managing The Project Management Podcast project. I see what I always see at the start of my projects. I rush in. I get excited and cut out steps that I should not have cut out. I am in the middle of the planning process and I am already buying stuff without having formulated a plan. Here I am, able to properly manage medium sized projects at work but I mess up this comparatively small, home grown project. If I were my sponsor (which incidently I am) I would fire myself.

So I do what I always do. I stop my activities, take out a PM methodology book and read up on what I was supposed to be doing. It may seem strange that I still do this after having been in the field for this long but I find that it helped me every time.